Lazarina Todorova is a documentary filmmaker and media artist originally from Bulgaria. Her work spans three continents spurred by a passion for media as a catalyst for equitable social transformation, ecological awareness and Earth stewardship. For over 15 years, she has focused on issues such as health and environmental sustainability, human rights, education and gender equity in collaboration with organizations in the NGO sector and through community initiatives. She has extensive experience filming internationally, including in conflict zones, as well as in challenging climates and locales, such as the Costa Rican jungle.
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI), Troy, NY: Master of Fine Arts, Electronic Arts, 2003
- Mount Holyoke College, South Hadley, MA: Bachelor of Arts, Film/Theater, 2000
- Plovdiv High School for Foreign Languages, Plovdiv, Bulgaria, 1996
Relevant Work History
COSTA RICA (2014-2018)
- Created educational and promotional videos on wellness, sustainability, community engagement, permaculture, herbology for Centro Ashé Community Herbal Center, Choose Again, Soul Seed Gathering, Finca Armonia, Passion Yoga School, Womben Wellness, Mind & Body Wellness, Ayurvedic Yoga Massage
- Completed on-location feature documentary LIFE AFTER BABYLON: The Jungle Diaries, funded by crowdsourcing campaign and distinguished with NEW PARADIGM AWARD at the San Francisco Earth Day Film Festival in 2016 and MERIT AWARD at the Los Angeles Awareness Festival in 2016
- Produced music videos and art projects with movement artists Z Boyd Stout, Fabrice Renaudin, composer Jim Vick, music artist Margot Day and sound artist Lucia Swift
TIJUANA, MEXICO (2013)
- Filmed at alternative and integrative health clinics, documenting progress and recovery of patients undergoing stem cells treatment and other breakthrough modalities
VANCOUVER, BC, CANADA (2010-2014)
- Lazarus Health Project, Vancouver, BC, 04/2011 – 2014; Produced educational and empowering short format films on health and sustainable living
- My Yoga Online, Vancouver, BC, summer 2012; Crew videographer: shot over 30 yoga classes as part of the Wanderlust Festivals in California, USA and Whistler, BC , Canada
- BC Council for International Cooperation (BCCIC), Vancouver, BC, 09/2010 – 02/2011; Documented BCCIC events and workshops in poverty reduction and social justice for online dissemination.
- GoBEYOND Climate Action Network, Vancouver, BC, 09/03/2010 – 12/01/2010 ; Produced three shorts on climate change and sustainability issues to further mobilization and recruitment efforts. Supported by UBC Sustainability Office, Common Energy, and the Sierra Youth Coalition.
- Home Harvest Farms, Vancouver, BC, 04/2011 – 06/2011; Created a promotional video on an innovative system for urban food growers that maximizes space and resources
- Youth Initiative Canada, Vancouver, BC, 10/15/2010 -10/30/2010; Completed a fundraising video in support of YIC’s HIV/AIDS awareness program component.
- Amnesty International/ Oxfam Canada/ BCCIC, Vancouver, BC, 09/18/2010 Documented flash mob awareness-raising event as part of the Make Poverty History campaign.
- FoodTree, Vancouver, BC, 07/2011 – 08/2011; Created a short promotional video of company iPhone application launch
- Yaletown Holistics, Vancouver, BC, 07/15/2010 – 08/31/2010; Created promotional video clips on alternative medicine treatment modalities.
UNITED STATES (2003-2010)
- Sustainable Harvest International (SHI), 02/2010 – 06/2010; Created series of short video success stories showcasing SHI’s efforts in reforestation and sustainable farming practices with communities in northern Honduras.
- Creative Associates International, Washington, DC, 01/2004 – 12/2009; Served as a Communications Officer and traveled on media assignments to Albania, Panama and Afghanistan
- Albania, September 2008: Documented prevention of human trafficking efforts implemented by 7 Albanian NGOs. Funded by: U.S. Agency for International Development
- Panama, June 2008: Recorded teacher training workshops in child labor awareness, math and language arts. Deliverable: training DVD distributed to Panamanian Ministry of Education and client, U.S. Dept. of Labor. Funded by: U.S. Dept. of Labor.
- Afghanistan, December 2006: Covered community-based education efforts in Kabul and Parwan provinces. Deliverable: video success stories disseminated to client and stakeholders. Funded by the U.S. Agency for International Development.
- Jubilee USA, Washington, DC, 09/2007 – 10/2008; Produced an educational DVD on international debt cancellation, vulture funds and IFIs, used in the Stand Up campaign on Oct.17, 2008. Completed a series of mobilization pieces in support of the Cancel Debt Fast Campaign. Followed grassroots advocacy efforts on Capitol Hill and posted daily video dispatches on YouTube.
- Mental Disability Rights International (MDRI), Washington, DC, 07/2005 – 11/2007; Compiled a video reel for Serbian and international media in support of MDRI’s investigation and report titled “Torment not Treatment: Serbia’s Segregation and Abuse of Children and Adults with Disabilities.” Produced “Behind Closed Doors”, a video press release, which investigates the human rights of people with mental disabilities in Turkey.
- The Advocacy Project, Washington, DC, 10/2006 – 12/2006; Completed a 10-minute fundraiser for BOSFAM, a Bosnian organization assisting women survivors of the Srebrenica massacre.
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY, 08/2000 – 05/2003; Teaching Assistant: Instructor in Video/Audio Production and Digital Imaging, core foundational media studio courses in the undergraduate Electronic Arts curriculum.
- The ARK, Troy, NY, Summer 2002 and Fall 2002; Community Media Instructor: Tutor in animation and video production for the ARK, an after-school program and community learning center situated in the Taylor apartments – a federally funded housing project.